There are several lines of thought about what makes a good school. The key aspects of a good school have been enumerated by UNESCO body UNESCO NEQMAP under its Happy School framework. The framework takes into account a set of qualitative variables that can be measured under three board categories — People, Process and Place. Based on this framework, CCLP Worldwide has come up with standards/criteria to label schools under the Good School category.
Each criterion carries a score. which is added up to give the final score for a school. The ten criteria/standards that a "good school" is evaluated for are
- 1 School Campus and Building Infrastructure
- 2 Recognition of School by a Competent Authority
- 3 Teaching Methodology
- 4 Sports and Extra-curricular Activities
- 5 Competence of Teaching Staff and Management
- 6 Location of the School and Accessibility
- 7 Good Health, Sanitation, Nutrition, and Secure Environment
- 8 School Reviews and Community Guidelines
- 9 Affiliation/Association with International Education Bodies
- 10 Online Presence
- 11 Online Application
School Campus and Building Infrastructure[edit | edit source]
Having a campus and a good infrastructure is the most basic but also a mandatory criterion for any good school. School campus and buildings, classrooms, playgrounds, and libraries are the most important aspect of the school infrastructure. Spacious buildings and well-ventilated classrooms are also important to build a conducive learning environment. Well-equipped labs, dedicated rooms for art and other extra-curricular activities enable schools to provide a holistic and effective education to the students. That's why a good school must have a well-constructed building with playgrounds, libraries, well-ventilated classrooms, recreational rooms, and other basic amenities. This criterion carries highest marks while calculating the final tally of the school.
Recognition of School by a Competent Authority[edit | edit source]
A good school must be formally recognized by a competent authority affiliated to the education department of the state government for primary and secondary education, and must procure further affiliation, as required, for classes IX and X or equivalent levels. In some countries, the school is required to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) to verify that it is following government rules and regulations. A formal recognition carries significant weight while calculating the final tally.
Teaching Methodology[edit | edit source]
The important parameters that are considered in order to evaluate the teaching methods are
a) Independent creative thinking (scope and practice)
b) Student-centred teaching
c) Teacher-centred teaching
d) Instruction of new topic on the basis of Hierarchical structure (practice)
e) Studying beyond the classroom (scope and practice)
f) Student’s club based teaching (practice)
g) Community-based teaching (approach)
h) Life skills learning opportunity (scope and practice)
i) Confidence building methods
j) Communication improvement methods (scope and practice)
h) Recognizing every child (approach)
i) Inculcation of inward discipline (scope and practice)
j) Schooling as a celebration (whole idea)
Adherence to these approaches and methodologies carries significant weight in the final tally for the school.
Sports and Extra-curricular Activities[edit | edit source]
The school should ideally have large playgrounds accessible to students for conduction of outdoor sports like football, cricket, volleyball, basketball, running track, and so on; it should also have provisions for indoor games like table tennis, chess, and badminton. This carries medium level of importance while calculating the final tally for a school.
Competence of Teaching Staff and Management[edit | edit source]
The education level, training, experience and psychological stability of the teaching staff are of prime importance for a good school. It is believed that happy teachers with positive approach are key to better teaching. How well the principal addresses and motivates students is crucial for a good school. The management of the school is just as important and must be democratically appointed. It must be pro-active and willing to co-operate with the school staff. The flow of work from management to principal and onwards is evaluated for this purpose. This carries the medium level of importance while calculating the final tally for the school.
Location of the School and Accessibility[edit | edit source]
The location of the school is important as far as accessibility for both students and teaching/non-teaching staff is concerned. The connectivity of the school via the railways, tube trains, and public modes of transport is considered; whether the school has a motorable road or not is also important. The provision of school buses with safety procedures is also taken into consideration. This carries medium level of importance while calculating the final tally for the school.
Good Health, Sanitation, Nutrition, and Secure Environment[edit | edit source]
A secure environment where shared study, play, and other engagements are encouraged help students' overall development. Encouraging students to play sports, exercise, practise meditation and yoga is known to have positive effects. Nutrition too is of prime importance and the provision of healthy choice in foods for the students is a must. In addition to this, every student has a right to clean and hygienic sanitation in school, and a good school should provide that. This carries medium level of importance while calculating the final tally.
School Reviews and Community Guidelines[edit | edit source]
In this digital age, reviews and opinions are a great way to empower members of the education community. The unmoderated reviews available at social sites can be a good indicator how the school has been functioning. The independent reviews of the school help other parents find the right school for their children. This carries low level of importance while calculating the final tally for a school.
Affiliation/Association with International Education Bodies[edit | edit source]
School International Partnership is considered a key aspect of a good school in today's world. Schools are encouraged to conduct and participate in national and international projects and events via collaboration, association, MOU, registration, affiliation or applications. This provides the school as well as the students with opportunities and exposure, both nationally and internationally. Some of these events can be Olympiads, competitions (national or international), international school award with British Council, TED-ED Club initiative with TED USA, Nest Methodology Network, UNESCO School network, national association for the development of curriculum in that country, National Geographic Explorer, and many more. This carries low level of importance while calculating the final tally for a school.
Online Presence[edit | edit source]
A good school must have an online presence in the form of working websites with updated information about curriculum, rules, regulations, notices, fees structures, new circular, details of teachers and staffs, holidays details, and so on. Nowadays, social sites are the first point of contact for the public. Hence, a presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Google is considered to be an additional advantage. Most of the information and activities are shared through these platforms. Having these active social accounts helps the stakeholders understand the school better. This carries low level of importance while calculating the final tally.
Online Application[edit | edit source]
Who can apply?
- Any school providing primary, secondary, or higher secondary education is eligible to apply for the Good School Rating.
- The applicant school must be running at the time of application and should have completed at least one academic session (one year minimum).
- The applicant school must be recognized by a competent authority of Education (competent government department).
- The applicant school must understand that the certificate of registration of the school is different from the certificate of recognition. Hence, a certificate of registration will not be entertained in place of the certificate of recognition.
- The school must have a physical campus to carry out its activities. Hence, online schools are not eligible to apply.
- Play schools, Montessori schools and other similar schools are not eligible for application.
- The eligible school is also required to send an official letter by email for this application duly signed by the head of the Institution.
- The International Organization has started taking applications for Good School Rating, however, no time frame is set for the constitution of the inspection committee to check the merit of the application.
- It is expected that the application will be cleared within 90 days from the application.
- The International Organization of Education Charter – CCLP Worldwide and its Inspection Committee do not charge any fee for the processing of the application. Hence the applicant is not required to pay any fee.
- The Good School Rating is not available for schools where one or more management person(s) is/are associated with CCLP Worldwide or its chapter in an official capacity.